Monday 29 April 2013

Cococare; Using Coconut Oil

 
In recent months I've become more and more a aware of numerous beauty and health bloggers talking about the benefits of using Coconut oil for...well anything it seems. So I thought I would give it a go, this one that I purchased from iHerb was around $6 but you can also pick it up in health food stores or the health food sectioned of stores like IGA or Coles.
 
Coconut oil will usually be wither this sort of slightly yellow liquid similar to regular oils or a solid white waxy substance, this simply depends on the temperature and is easy to use either way as it will quickly melt in your hands and make it easy to spread.
 
It's commonly used in cooking and is especially popular with vegans, but it's health benefits as a food is not why we are looking at it today. We are looking at it primarily as a skin moisturizer, and as a tool to help with dry skin and reduces protein loss when used in hair ie. make it softer and stronger.

 
In terms of skincare it can be used in many, many, ways from being used as a deodorant, lotion, makeup remover, toothpaste, stretch mark preventative, natural spf 4 sunscreen, yeast killer, chapstick, massage oil, cure for athlete's foot, eczema cure, homemade diaper cream, and a natural anti bacterial cream among over 100 uses for it. I will in time be testing out more of these claims but so far I have used it as a hair treatment and I am very pleased with the results.

 
The way I used this as a hair treatment was after washing my hair and doing all the regular hair and conditioner stuff while my hair was still damp I rubbed this stuff into the ends of my hair and a lighter touch around my scalp. If you have oily roots then skip that step but my scalp is crazy dry so I went ahead with it.

Then put a shower cap or wrap a towel around your hair and leave it for as long as you like, 45 minutes will work fine but overnight works much better. When your ready step into the shower, but don't get your hair wet, get your shampoo and rub that into your hair first as oil and water don't have the best relationship. Once it's all lathered up just wash it out, you might need to use your shampoo twice as it can make your hair a little heavy if too much of it stays on and it can be a little difficult but I personally had no problems and was able to get way with one wash.

Then just let your hair air dry if you can but blow drying shouldn't cause any issues and you should find that your hair is now extremely soft and much easier to manage. I found my boyfriend kept trying to pat my hair because it was so soft for the next few days. Great Treatment and really cheap.

Have you tried it?

No comments:

Post a Comment